Refreshing cocktails, beer, and wine can seem like the perfect way to cool down during the warm summer months. The good news is that it’s absolutely possible to drink responsibly and stay on track with your wellness goals. Here’s my advice for enjoying alcohol without getting derailed.
Remember Alcohol = Carbs
It doesn’t matter what your alcohol of choice is, alcoholic drinks contain carbohydrates. Take a look at the breakdown below and find your favorite beverage.
|Red / White Wine||5 oz||125 cal||3 – 6 g|
|Bloody Mary||8 oz||125 cal||10 g|
|Regular Beer||12 oz||155 cal||12 g|
|Margarita||8 oz||370 cal||13 g|
|Cosmopolitan||3.5 oz||200 cal||22 g|
|Piña Colada||4.5 oz||245 cal||32 g|
Serving Size Matters
You may have noticed that many of the serving sizes for the drinks above are small. One serving of a Cosmopolitan is only 3.5 ounces and a serving of wine is 5 ounces! Pay attention to your serving sizes and how many drinks you have. Just like carbs, the calories and sugar in alcoholic drinks often surprise people. Plus, drinking alcohol can lead you to eat more than you would ordinarily.
Try These Instead
Try these lower calorie options, all around 100 calories or less. They might just become your new favorite! Of course, remember to watch how many drinks you have regardless of what you choose. I recommend alternating an alcoholic beverage with a glass of water.
- Margarita on the rocks with salt – skip the mix, just straight tequila, lime, and agave
- Mojito – skip or reduce the simple syrup
- Lower calorie Cosmopolitan – raspberry-infused vodka, club soda, and a splash of lime and cranberry juice
- Light Beer (Michelob Ultra or Beck’s Premier Light are good choices)
- Vodka soda with a splash of your juice of choice
- White or red wine
Try these two bonus tips to help you stay on track!
- If you drink in the evening, replace your starch (rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc.) with your glass of wine or beer.
- For bubbles without the booze and calories, replace one (or all) of your cocktails with sparkling water. Pick your favorite flavor and serve it in a cocktail glass!