When it comes to weight loss and your health, what you do from about 4:00p.m. until the time you go to bed can make all the difference in your overall weight loss and health success. This is the time when you are the most susceptible to fall into bad habits such as sitting in front of the TV and “vegging” out, snacking on chips, crackers and cheese, etc. while you wait for dinner to be served. Some of you may also fall into the habit of having a few cocktails to help unwind, or eating large portions of ice cream or other snack type foods after dinner to “reward” yourself for a hard day’s work. These bad habits can undermine your efforts earlier in the day to eat well and exercise. That’s why I’ve come up with healthy alternatives for your evening routine.
Replacement Ideas for Your Evening Routine
Implementing the following will take a little pre-planning, but ultimately it will create an alternative, healthy action plan that will bring you closer to your health and weight loss goals.
Do This If You Are Truly Hungry:
- Have pre-cut veggies on hand so that you can literally “veg” out when you get home. You can even purchase a pre-made, pre-cut vegetable tray from almost any grocery store these days. Spice it up by dipping your veggies into some salsa or low fat salad dressing.
- Drink 8-12 oz of water before your meal.
- Serve yourself on a plate instead of snacking freely.
- Fill half your plate with vegetables such as broccoli, kale, squash, green beans, Brussels sprouts, mixed salad, spinach, etc.
- If you are going to have dessert after dinner, find something pre-portioned so you don’t go overboard. Serve it on a plate and make sure you sit down to eat.
Do This If You Are Not Truly Hungry and Find Yourself Eating Out of Boredom:
- Instead of your evening cocktail, serve yourself sparkling water – LaCroix makes a variety of flavors (coconut is my favorite). Serve your sparkling treat in your favorite cocktail glass!
- Take a leisurely evening walk. Getting out of the house at this vulnerable time can make a big difference. Use this time to unwind and reflect on the day.
- Have a family game night.
- Make a 1000-piece puzzle! It’s a challenge and something to occupy your time!
- Catch up on your favorite shows.
- Unwind with hot herbal caffeine-free tea. There are a ton of varieties available, so explore and experiment with what you like. I love the lemon zinger, black cherry, and blueberry!
I hope these ideas will help guide you to a healthful and successful evening routine!
Want support creating a food plan that will help you achieve your weight loss goals? Call (855) WLT-9958 (855-958-9958) for information about my:
- Weight Loss Transformation VIP Program
- Weight Loss Transformation Group Program
- Take Control Pre-Diabetes and Diabetes Programs